Thursday 11 July 2013

Ka-Pow! weekend training

This weekend Ka-Pow! training saw almost the entire roster turnout to the full weekend in the glorious sunshine, with just the GB Under 23 lot missing.
The Saturday started with a brief chat. We know that qualification for Worlds based on our tour rankings thus far is mathematically impossible. We were all disappointed with the performance at Tour 2, not only due to the results, but also due to the emotions which were pretty down for most of the weekend (and also the weather). We agreed as a squad to move on from it and try to replicate the loose-ness and freedom from pressure which we felt in the game against Clapham, which was probably our best game of Tour 2, and this sentiment resulted in the best training weekend we've had in a while.
We also went over the core principals which can now be found on the Ka-Pow! website.

We had drills on both the Saturday and the Sunday which were focussing on different movements which allow us to alter the position of the disc in difficult situations, such as dumping, receiving a pull and getting the disc off the line. We also worked on core skills which are very important to offensive play such as breaking marks and hucking, and defensive play such as taking away the easy underneath options whilst playing close enough to stifle deep options.

We also played a game against Clapham on the Sunday. The terms of the game that were agreed upon were that they would start every point on defense and it would be first to reach 8 (half). They beat us (not sure of the final score) but the majority of our turnovers were self inflicted, with tired heads from a weekend in the baking heat leading to lazy throws or decisions. Occasionally we turned them over back and at times had some great looking offense, but Clapham were definitely better than us on that day.

Whilst this weekend is looking to be as hot as the one just gone, we know that it can't be an excuse for us, much like the extreme wind and rain at Tour 2. I am very much looking forward to Tour 3. We will be starting in the bottom 8 of A tour, but I really think we can still do well and I think excitement is pretty high amongst the team.

Additionally, my left hamstring was feeling a bit stiff/sore all weekend. Whilst it wasn't enough to stop me playing at the weekend, I made the decision to not do too much exercise this week so as to be at full strength for Tour 3. Monday I cycled to/from work and spent a lot of time in the evening foam rolling and stretching. Tuesday I had an interview so I didn't do any exercise and Wednesday was just cycling and foam rolling/stretching again. For today I feel like Yoga will help with loosening of muscles and I'll take it easy if some of the positions move to the advanced variants. I will not be exercising on Friday (other than cycling) so it's going to be a bit of a quiet week again for me.

I also bought a new pair of cleats this week which I am looking forward to debuting at Tour 3 this weekend, and I have been wearing them in during the week. They are AdiZeros which I have had before and were comfortable and ridiculously light, but didn't last an entire season. I think I may use these only for tournaments for the rest of this season and use my other pair at trainings and when it gets to the winter/offseason training and practices again to try and save this new pair to use again next year.

Tour 3 preview coming soon (most likely tomorrow if the schedule is released by then).

No comments:

Post a Comment