Thursday 3 May 2012

My play at Tom's Tourney in Bruges

I had a great time at Tom's Tourney. I didn't always make the right pass or cut but I felt I did myself proud.
I don't want to go into too much detail, at the risk of giving away strategies, so I will just highlight what I think went well and what I think still needs improvement in terms of me fitting in with the Ka-pow systems.
Firstly, I should state that when I was playing 95% of the time it would be an Offense point. I was only put on for D when the D line was tiring through being on the field for a larger percentage of the time than the O line.
However, when I did play D line I didn't get scored on (as far as I can remember) and I got a couple of run through blocks and one (almost) layout block (mentioned yesterday). No point blocks but I am not too concerned about that. One thing in terms of defense that I noticed from the weekend is that I should probably be getting on the force quicker.
In terms of offense, like I said, I don't want to reveal our systems so I will keep this vague.
At the start of the weekend, I was feeling quite comfortable with the overall theme of our offensive system out of all structures, and felt I could adapt to play in most of the roles quite easily, apart from 1. I didn't play in the role that I felt uncomfortable with at all on the first day and only played a few points of it later in the tournament, but I'm glad I did. I definitely feel that I could play this role now, even though I believe there are players who would be more competent at it than I am.
In terms of what went well, my team mates were very complimentary of my grabs on offense. I admit that I did get one grab for a score (described yesterday) that is up there with some of the best offensive plays I've ever made, but the rest I felt were pretty standard for my abilities, so I guess I'm looking forward to showcasing these skills in the future... everyone loves a compliment or two!
I didn't put up too many big hucks, but generally I didn't need to. When I did though, there were a couple of occasions when it wasn't connected because it wasn't the best option. I know I can get this, and I think it's just a case of learning abilities of teammates better and learning the timings of the systems better.
In terms of cutting, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cutting patterns of the downfield roles in our offense and really think I have it almost nailed now. I didn't really run the handler cutting patterns too much and so I'm a little less confident with them, but I know them and could run them in play, so I look forward to getting them nailed down in practice.
Overall, pretty happy with my play at Bruges, and looking forward to really getting myself ingrained in the offense systems and roles, and busting my arse if I'm put on defense lines as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment