Friday 9 November 2012

Friday Gym + GB Open Beach Selection

Unfortunately I didn't get selected for the GB Open Beach team going to the European Beach Championships in Spain next year.
I wish them the best of luck and it looks like it should be a good team, but I'd be lying if I said I was really disappointed.
Firstly, it looks expensive. I would have been happy to pay for the Championships themselves, but they will be using Paganello as the final trial. So they're expecting people who aren't even guaranteed to make the team in the end, to get to Italy and participate in (what is in my experience) a hugely expensive tournament. Not only that, I appreciate that their Strength and Conditioning program is made by a professional coach, but apparently the £10 I paid was only a downpayment and it would be £75 total (forget that). Plus kit.
Secondly, beach ultimate is essentially a bit of fun for me. In my opinion, the big tournament this year is European Club Championships, not the European Beach Championships and I'd much rather be putting in the time for Ka-Pow!

I hope this doesn't come across as bitterness, I honestly was happy with getting through the paper application process and went into the trials to put in a good showing of my abilities with the aim to make the team (which unfortunately was slightly hampered by my illness the week beforehand). The captains gave me some acceptable reasons why I wasn't selected, one of which I had noticed myself at the weekend, and they did have a talented group of players to choose from. I'm disappointed with not getting selected, but as stated above, I am still looking forward to putting in the time to be a good player for Ka-Pow! with the aim on qualifying for European clubs this year and World clubs next year.

Anyway, on to today's gym session. I put the different exercises from the GB beach routine into one as I had a longer time in the gym today. I think from now on, I will do that for one routine and go back to my old routine for my second session.
Today's session:

Warmup
5 minute run
1 * 15 internal shoulder rotations (9kg) on each arm
1 * 15 external shoulder rotations (9kg) on each arm
2 * 15 Glute Bridge
1 * 15 PGM on each leg
1 * 12 Press up and holds (3 seconds)
2 * 30 seconds single leg balance
Foam Rolling

Main Routine
4 * 15 Single leg squats (30kg *increase*)
4 * 15 Lat lunge (30kg *increase*)
4 * 15 Split Squat (30kg)
4 * 15 Single Arm Bench Press (7.5kg/arm)
4 * 15 Seated narrow row (41kg *increase*)
4 * 15 Lateral Pulldown (32kg)
3 * 15 Full range of motion Calf raises (5kg)
2 * 15 Swiss Ball Hamstring curls (55cm swiss ball)
2 * 12 Hanging knee raises
2 * 12 Straight leg ab curls

Foam rolling to warm down

May do some fitness this weekend, but will be back into fitness properly from next week.
Next weekend is Mixed winter league with the Herd. It's part of the trial process and it will be interesting to see what happens with the mixed scene this year with rumours of new teams being formed, and without the GB teams the top level talent might play the mixed tour again this year. I believe that Nationals will still be Open/Womens and Mixed on the same weekend again so they will mostly go to their open clubs for that (to qualify for European clubs), but the tour season could be more competitive than the last two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment