Sunday 3 February 2013

Awesome weekend!

Saturday Morning:

Kapow training was cold and windy, and it was a smaller turnout than in previous weeks. We were working on our offensive structure and teaching the principles to those who had turned up. It was a learning experience for all with some small adaptations to the offense that we played last year. I made a few mistakes, and had the occassional error along with most of the people there, but generally I was happy with my play at this training. Hoping this is the start of me getting back to how I want to be playing, and I'm looking forward to testing my play next week at Winter League.

Saturday Afternoon:

With a session of high concentration in the morning attempting to get my head around the offense and the drills and the fundementals that Kapow were trying to instill, the afternoon brought a little bit of a less mentally taxing ultimate session. Herd were teaching their plays but they were plays that I had learned before and played with other teams (with a couple of small adaptations which I liked). This meant I could concentrate on other things with my play like throws in the wind and having safe hands and throws, as well as defense. I thought I played well in this session as well and it was fun to get to a Herd session again. I am prioritising Kapow this year, but I still enjoy playing Mixed and playing with the Herd and I did have fun at this session.

Sunday:

My first taste of competitive Flag Football (and my second ever Flag football session) was a blast. Playing with the Basingstoke team (The Zombie Horde) against the Winchester Sharks and the Reading Lions was a lot of fun. I was leant a jersey, some receiver gloves and a playbook wristband to help me keep up with the playcalling on offense and I was ready and eager to get playing. Our first game was against the Sharks and the first Touchdown of the game was scored be me! It was fourth down and about 15 (no punting in Flag) and it was a hail mary play. I was in the slot on the left and managed to pick up the TD off a tip by another WR who had gone up for it in double coverage. We ended up losing in a high scoring close game 45-40 and I was extremely pleased with my play in my first competitive game. I played both offense (Wide Receiver) and Defense switching between man marking the other teams WRs and playing a sort of safety role in a zone. I had an interception to stop a TD in this game and was generally pleased with both my offense and defense.
The second game was against the Lions who apparently started this team this year and so were slightly less experienced compared to the Basingstoke team. We took a lead on our first possession with a TD and then the defense came up with another Interception and we went up two scores. They got one back but we kept scoring and were in control (28-15) by the half. I got another two interceptions in this game and scored another TD. In the end, considering we were in control of the game I even got a chance to play at Quarter back for a few plays. I was awful going 0-3 passing with 1 Int for 0 yards for a QB rating Mark Sanchez would be proud of (0). I managed to stop the TD off the Interception by getting the tackle though, but I definitely did not feel confident playing QB, but appreciated that they were trying to allow me to try it out.
We ended up winning the game comfortably.

I had a great time and if I'm ever available for further training or games then I'd be really up for it. I've got a pretty busy frisbee calendar, but I'd like to squeeze some Football in.

And tonight: It's the Superbowl!!! An old skunks teammate who spent a year in Southampton as part of his Masters, from Canada is coming over to watch it with some other skunks friends and I've got Monday morning off work so it should be a great night to finish off this great fun weekend of sports!

No comments:

Post a Comment