Sunday 27 January 2013

Kapow weekend

White city's tiger turf was the third different 3g pitch that kapow had found themselves trading at in three weeks and it was also the third time in three weeks that we had a good turnout of people willing to put in the effort and focus on improving and learning.


We had a few goals for what we wanted to get out of the weekend which were related to how we want our offense to run, and also what we'd struggled with offensively in our first season. These included throwing techniques, handler movement to reset the disc from a position near the sideline including continuation passing, quick movement of the disc including break throw to break throw continuation of the disc and fast break disc movement after a turnover, cutting patterns, pulling and other skills as well as game situations.

It was a really productive weekend, but I still think that as a squad we've got a lot of work to do until the Open season.

After training on Saturday we headed to a Thai restaurant for a meal and a bit of a cheeky social in a pub in Clapham. Was a fun night.

Overall, I'm very excited about this season having seen the amount of talent we've got in the squad and the amount that the team wants to improve.

I thought I played well on Saturday but was frustrated with how stiff my muscles had got during the session when it came down to playing defense during the game at the end of the session as again I struggled containing a handler who was running a lot of give-go movement. I was pretty pleased with my offensive play though this week, which was my source of frustration in the game against DED last week, so that's something.
Sunday I was frustrated with my hands, I had far too many dropped disc during the drills. My throws were fine and my cuts I thought were pretty good during the drills as well, but my hands weren't working like I wanted them too. I also twinged my shoulder again whilst forcing during a drill on Sunday. Whilst it was just a momentary pain and after that it didn't hurt again all session, I didn't want to risk it again so I sat out the games.

I really hope that I'm just out of practice as I'm still not happy that I haven't put together a good performance for an entire session. Still, it's January and I, like the rest of the team, have plenty of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment