Sunday 20 January 2013

Saturday Ka-Pow training

Because of the snow, our regular training venue had been cancelled for yesterday. Luckily DED had invited us to play an early season scrimmage against them at the fantastic indoor 3g pitches that they had managed to book.
We turned up and warmed up, doing some drills separate to DED.
We started with the same drill we'd done last week focussing on footwork going into/out of cuts, and then moved on to a hucking drill.
We finished our pre-game session with some 'hellbox' (4 v 4 in a small square with the aim being for the offense to complete 10 passes and the defense to create a turnover).

We went into the game fast and built up a small lead quickly. We were playing solid offense and DED had started slowly allowing us to generate some blocks.
DED scored their first point off a huck to make it 3-1 to us. Our gameplan was to mark their cutters under and let them take the long throws so this wasn't too disappointing for our defense. They played zone on us once and we beat it pretty easily, and I don't remember them playing zone against us again.
A couple of points later and I had caught a long throw, and proceeded to throw it away on the end zone line. I had to make up for a poor throw so I then caught a callaghan goal from marking the dump. Unfortunately I layed out and landed awkwardly (on my chest and left arm but with my left arm extended) which jarred my left shoulder which has been hurting since. I will be resting it until it feels better so I might not go to the gym this week. I'll see how it goes but it's still quite painful. I played the rest of the game but it made forcing with my left arm difficult and I couldn't have thrown with it if I had wanted to.
We took the half 8-3 (I think) and had a team talk which was reiterating the importance of not losing focus. Unfortunately, we lost a bit of focus coming into the second half.
There were two points in a row with about 4-5 turns per team before the goal was scored, each with a timeout, and that slowed the game down. DED came into the second half more fired up than us, and their handler movement based offense started to click and gain the yards. They brought the score level at one point, but we hung on to take the win 13-11.
It was a good game for so early in the season and we looked good on defense for the most part.

I wasn't too happy with my play though. My defense was alright and I caught the callaghan which was reassuring, though after my shoulder started hurting I was noticeably finding forcing more difficult. I also struggled late in the game to react to the quick go after the throw from the handlers for a couple of passes but managed to get that in check after a few plays. I also completely messed up a zone defense point.
My main problem though was with offense. My cutting was alright and I was happy with the speed in my muscles. I just felt out of practice whilst playing as I was making bad throws and bad decisions. I'm hoping I can attribute this to it being the pre-season because I was happy with my play last season on the offensive side.
Overall though, I think we deserved the win and I was impressed with the athleticism of our players this early   and with the desire in our defense to generate the turnovers. We did lose focus on the offense but with no work at trainings so far in teaching our systems it was always going to be tough to play a perfect offensive game. Good start to the season.

1 comment:

  1. Was good playing you guys on Saturday - I guess I can count this as my first entry into playing A tour ultimate and it definitely was useful in showing me what I needed to work on! Looking forward to some more ded vs Kapow games in the future.

    ReplyDelete