Tuesday 23 October 2012

Monday Night Indoors and Tuesday Gym

Headed to indoors again last night.
The warm up was good and then we did drills, ten pull games focusing on zone defense and then regular games.
Since I won't be playing club indoors with Disconduct I'm using the training sessions to get game (-like) practice and to work on the fundementals of the transferrable skills for outdoors (the real sport). So my focus last night was on a strong mark on the disc, putting in a strong aerial presence when the disc went up and throwing good choices and good discs. In the first drill we were running a handler weave pattern that I used to make good turns/cuts and throw the continuation pass before the cutter had completed his turn, a skill which is part of the Ka-Pow offense.
Went up for a big grab in one of the last points and had my legs taken from under me. Got the grab and didn't call the foul as could throw the assist from lying on the floor but did go off with a dead leg afterwards.
Still had a dead leg all of today, but did go to the gym today over lunch.

Did the GB Open Beach weights session for the first time today. It's a good set of exercises. I don't claim to be an expert but there were a couple of things that surprised me and I thought I might have done differently:

- The warmup featured no cardio (running/cycling/whatever) at all, which I found to be a bit strange. Instead it focussed on warming up arms and upper body, core and specific leg muscles and joints.
- The first part of the program features a prescribed session of cardio to do each week. It seems like it's going to take ages and be easy. I understand that they want everyone to start at the same base level, but considering everyone on the list has just come off a full season of Ultimate and training, I would have expected them to be content with the base level of fitness of all participants. My theory behind starting track (and sprints) early was that if I started with easy sprints and built them up then I would be training at full speed (and increasing my top speed) early and it would become easier. Training at less than 100% isn't conducive to the movements found in ultimate, which is why I didn't feel like I was gaining anything from Herd's prescribed weekly 3 mile run in their pre-season training regimen. Admittedly, it does ramp up the speed pretty well after a while, but I'd prefer to be doing sprints than running at 70% for a prescribed amount of time, even with the season months away.
- I haven't seen the 3rd or 4th part of the program yet, but program 2 on first look seems pretty similar to program 1. I liked the program I did, and most of the exercises in my program have similar exercises feature on the GB program, but I don't like them as much. Will be working in my exercises when I have time and ramping up the weights on the GB exercises quickly. The loads on each exercise weren't prescribed in the regimen so there was a bit of experimentation with good starting points and I started slow for the first session as I still had a dead leg from last night and didn't want to go in too hard with exercises I had only seen on a video (most I haven't done before).

Having said that, there was plenty I enjoyed about the GB regime. It's more varied than my program and is very prescribed, and it's obvious a lot of thought and research has gone into it. I also thought that some of the exercises worked some areas of my body that, whilst they haven't been ignored, they've never been focussed on, so it's probably good to get in some work on them. I also liked the higher number of sets and reps on some of the exercises.

I don't know how private the workouts are supposed to be, so this is just between you and me, internet...
Here's the GB workout it did:

Warmup:
1 * 15 internal shoulder rotations (7kg) on each arm
1 * 15 external shoulder rotations (7kg) on each arm
2 * 15 Glute bridges
1 * 15 PGM
1 * 12 Press up and hold (3s hold when down)
1 * 30s single leg balance on each leg

Main workout:
4 * 15 Single leg squats (20kg) with 10 body weight squats in between
4 * 15 Lat Lunges (25kg)
4 * 15 Single Arm Dumbell Bench Press (7.5kg / arm) (I prefer barbell bench press, but like doing more sets and reps)
4 * 15 Seated Narrow Row (36kg)
3 * 15 calf raise (Full range of motion)
2 * 15 Swiss Ball Hamstring curls
2 * 12 Hanging Knee raises (I prefer pull ups and prefer doing more sets and lower reps)

I then added in double leg squats as I had time after I finished.

4 * 15 double leg squats (50kg) (I like the higher number of reps and sets)

I then warmed down with a 2 minute jog and some foam rolling.

I will continue the weights sessions prescribed by GB, and mix in exercises from my own program, trying to do all the exercises from both regimes during the week.
I will also continue my 3 miles a day cycling for cardio (which is how I get to/from work anyway) and Yoga and track. Will work in the GB cardio routines into the track work and will count the cycling for the other cardio session. Then everything else is for extra fun.

2 comments:

  1. The concept behind training at 70% is that you're working on certain systems, in the GB program it works on aerobic fitness and then metabolic conditioning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactate_threshold and http://athletics.wikia.com/wiki/Metabolic_Conditioning will help explain the purpose of this type of training.

    Loosely, the targets of the first set of sessions are to improve your system's efficiency; increasing your lactate threshold, improving how your muscles use energy, and how they recover.

    You can't work on any of that training at 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! As I said, I'm no expert so should probably just do what I'm told.

    ReplyDelete